Including...collaborate on a TikTok duet, a quick guide to social media and Microsoft recreates ancient Olympia.
Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Digital Snapshot, bringing you all the latest digital news, ideas, tips and guidance for the arts, culture, museums and heritage world.
I'm speaking at the virtual Museum Next Digital Marketing Summit on Monday at 12pm. It feels like I was in a fever dream when I recorded my talk, Confessions of a (former) Social Media Manager. You should come along to also hear from some amazing speakers exploring TikTok, #CuratorBattle, leading change in your museum and building communities.
Anyway, that's enough shameless self-promotion. Here are links and things from the past couple of weeks:
- Hootsuite's Social Trends report is out. It's a bit USA-centric but has some interesting insights – like how younger generations are researching brands on social media rather than through Google.
- Disney also wants in on the metaverse. As more corporations jump on board, it means VR and AR might soon be breaking into the Early Majority stage of the Innovation Adoption Lifecycle. At least I hope so because I still can't afford a headset.
- Apple just made it easier to repair their devices yourself. (They're not being nice, they were forced into it by the EU.)
Useful / bookmarkable
- Digital activity accounts for almost 4% of global greenhouse gases. Design Review asks: is it possible to design low carbon impact digital services?
- Katie Moffat, who initially created the Digital Snapshot, has created this useful quick guide on social media for the Arts Marketing Association.
Distracting / entertaining / inspiring
- TikTok's Duet feature taps into what makes the internet great: our collaborative creativity. This week I've been singing along with a nom-nom cat and laughing at a hostage situation.
- Yassify Bot is going viral just by applying a face filter to works of art (among other things).
- A simple guide to NFTs (NFT standing for Non-fungible tokens... if that helps at all)
- Microsoft is digitally recreating ancient Olympus. Being able to point your phone at a load of ankle-high ancient wall foundations and seeing what the original building looked like in Augmented Reality is actually quite cool, but my laptop isn't powerful enough to explore the model online...
- Remember that 'We'll plant 1 tree for every pet photo' thing that went around Instagram recently? Take a deep dive into how unethical entrepreneurs game virality to fill their own pockets in this Vice article.
And that’s all for this edition! Don't forget we're here to support you with training, research and consultancy, so please do get in touch. You can find all past editions of the Digital Snapshot here.
You can post your thoughts on digital and data related topics to a wider community through the newly launched Community forum.
Head of Digital, The Audience Agency
Need some help with Digital?
The Audience Agency can help you get the most out of your digital activity, taking an audience-centric approach, focusing on the needs of the audience, rather than the technical features or functions of different channels.
The Digital Snapshot newsletter shares the latest, most important news from the social media and digital world - as relevant to the arts, culture and heritage sectors.