- 22% of all audiences book between 4 and 8 weeks before the performance.
- That said, whilst 47% of tickets are sold in November and December, sales begin climbing rapidly from September.
- As many tickets – 25% – are sold in November as in January to August combined.
- 61% of festive shows are performed between 10th and 30th December.
Christmas Shows vs Pantomimes
- During the 2018 Christmas season, almost 1000 more performances of Pantomimes than Christmas shows were recorded in the Audience Finder data set.
- Average ticket prices rose 16% for Christmas Shows since 2017 (to £18.90) but just 5% for Pantomimes (to £19.60), though these tickets are still priced more highly overall.
- The most performed Christmas show and Pantomime of 2018 (as represented in Audience Finder) were A Christmas carol and Aladdin respectively.
- Audiences to Christmas Shows and Pantomimes are, unsurprisingly, more dominated by family-heavy groups, like Commuterland Culturebuffs and Dormitory Dependables than is typical across other forms of cultural consumption.
- The usually highly engaged Metroculturals and Experience Seekers, on the other hand, are far less dominant in Christmas audiences.
- The top three Audience Spectrum groups most common in Christmas Show and Pantomime audiences are: Dormitory Dependables (24%); Commuterland Culturebuffs (21%); Trips and Treats (16%).
Christmas Time vs Other Attendance
- 70% of visitors to Christmastime shows have been to an event or production at the same venue on another occasion within the past 12 months.
- 65% of Christmas audiences are family groups. Conversely, 65% of audiences to other kinds of theatre attend in adult only groups.
- 53% of audiences for festive shows attend in groups of 4 people or more, whereas year around theatre attendance is overwhelmingly dominated by pairs.
Working with the New West End Company to understand the impact of their annual Christmas Lights Switch-On event.
A look back at some of the more exciting announcements, impressive achievements and inspiring projects of the year just past.